CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

caravaggio

14th May 2009, 12:44
"In Italy, he's held by chap from northern city"

?I?A?. The obvious answer would seem to be MILAN
but, if it is, I don't understand the construct. As this has been annoying me since last night, would someone come to my assistance please.

1 of 16  -   Report This Post

terry

14th May 2009, 12:50
italian for he = il.
held by chap (man)=

MILAN (a northern city).
2 of 16  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

14th May 2009, 13:02
Thank you, Terry.

I'd looked at that construct [as you may have guessed] but I thought 'lui' or 'egli' was the Italian for 'he' and 'il' was 'the' in the context of, say, Il Trovatore [The Troubador].

Kind regards,

Caravaggio
3 of 16  -   Report This Post

terry

14th May 2009, 13:04
hello Caravaggio,
Yes. You are right and I am wrong. Sorry about that.
4 of 16  -   Report This Post

terry

14th May 2009, 13:10
Maybe I should stop digging this hole but; il can also mean "that one". Could He be that one.
5 of 16  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

14th May 2009, 13:11
Hi Terry,

Thank you for your prompt response and you'll now see why it's annoying me! We looked at the construct the same way...

Best wishes,

Caravaggio
6 of 16  -   Report This Post

trevor

14th May 2009, 14:14
like french (le and la) Italian nouns can be masculine or femenine. Masculine uses il. (la for femenine - I think)
not sure if that makes the answer "Milan" work or I'm barking up the wrong tree.
7 of 16  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

14th May 2009, 14:26
Hi Terry,

It would seem that we both took a break at the same time! In fact, our last posts were almost simultaneous and mine should have appeared in front of yours...

There is something bothering me but I can't work it out. Milan is also a first name. Mandaric - owner of Leicester City Football Club and Baros - former striker for Liverpool and Aston Villa - both have the first name Milan...

It will be interesting to see if anyone else comes up with any ideas!

Best wishes,

Caravaggio
8 of 16  -   Report This Post

jimc

14th May 2009, 15:03
I'd support MILAN being MAN + IL (admittedly French, not Italian, for 'he').

The only other thought I had was PISAN - being (a chap) from a northern Italian city. Other than that I can't relate PISAN to the clue.

Perhaps the crossword compiler got his/her european languages mixed up?

BW.
JimC
9 of 16  -   Report This Post

terry

14th May 2009, 15:26
Trevor seems to have squared "he" with "il" so that explains it. er,um, doesn't it.
10 of 16  -   Report This Post