CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dillon

14th May 2009, 11:04
Clue: Greek character, very old, is put up in cell
Pattern: O?U?
I have \'ovum\' as from cell but the Greek character mystifies me as I cannot think of any Greek alphabet name or ancient person(Ovid) that answers this question.
1 of 11  -   Report This Post

trevor

14th May 2009, 11:09
Mu - 12th letter of Greek alphabet + v o (very old)gives muvo. Is put up = backwards(i'm guessing this is a down clue)
Ovum = cell
2 of 11  -   Report This Post

the alchemist

14th May 2009, 11:13
mu is from the greek alphabet. Very old = vo. If you put them up (reverse them) you get OVUM (cell). These clues are rubbish. If they are from the Daily Mail I'm not surprised Pooksahib is always asking for explanations of the answers and now he's been joined by you.
3 of 11  -   Report This Post

dillon

14th May 2009, 11:20
Dear Alchemist, you are very right. I think these are the last two papers I have and I'll not buy any more. I'll stick to the DT or The Times
4 of 11  -   Report This Post

trevor

14th May 2009, 11:37
If you are wondering why you get repeat answers,it's because it can take a while for this site to update/refresh itself.
so sometimes you can post an answer not knowing it has already been answered.

ps.I though this clue was ok.
5 of 11  -   Report This Post

terry

14th May 2009, 12:41
A few words in support of the MAIL.

What on earth is so awful about this ovum clue. It seems perfectly reasonable to me.

When Pooksahib started doing the DM he used to ask for loads of explanations. His queries are now considerably fewer. Surely evidence that it just takes a little time to get used to a new crossword. Yes, DM has the occasional duff clue. Don't all crosswords. Overall it is no better or worse than ANY of the dailies. If you want a consistantly ropey crossword I suggest you try the Sunday Express Skeleton.
6 of 11  -   Report This Post

dillon

14th May 2009, 13:24
Hi Terry, Didn't mean to upset you but I don't have access to crosswords daily as you obviously do. The only regular one I can get is the Radio Times which is quite good, all others I get on return to the UK which I garner from the papers as available. I am on the Telegraph Toughie run at the moment having finished the DM run.
7 of 11  -   Report This Post

dillon

14th May 2009, 13:25
Hi Terry, Didn't mean to upset you but I don't have access to crosswords daily as you obviously do. The only regular one I can get is the Radio Times which is quite good, all others I get on return to the UK which I garner from the papers as available. I am on the Telegraph Toughie run at the moment having finished the DM run.
8 of 11  -   Report This Post

terry

14th May 2009, 15:44
Dillon,
I wasn't having a go at you. If I was having a go at anyone it was Alchemist. On two out of three clues from your earlier posting you had wrong letters included so you were never going to work them out. Anybody in that position is going to find a clue very hard going.
If you are only doing these crosswords occasionally then you are pretty good at it.
9 of 11  -   Report This Post

the alchemist

14th May 2009, 16:01
Hi Terry. There had been several posts on Mail crosswords. I wasn't really talking about this clue in particular. Unusually they used n as an abbreviation for normal in another clue. They might have been better saying "initially very old" in this current clue. Anyway, apologies if I offended you as a Mail reader - I occasionally do the Mail crossword when the paper lad delivers it by mistake.
10 of 11  -   Report This Post