CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mr griffin

11th May 2009, 16:18
Hi terry. I think it's fine that YOU don't want to change anything on this forum, but I don't think you can speak for "most people". I certainly can't remember you being elected as "spokesperson for the forum".
5 of 15  -   Report This Post

trevor

11th May 2009, 17:29
Ha-Ha,spoke too soon eh?
I think that people are more likely to write in if they want to change things.

I also think, that from the people who have expressed an opinion,there are (maybe not a huge amount, but still) more who want to leave things as they are.
If such a thing as the silent majority exists then add them to these.
I doubt guidelines will make much difference anyway.
May I be the 1st to nominate terry for spokesperson.
6 of 15  -   Report This Post

geordie kermit

11th May 2009, 18:13
Hi guys,

I certainly don't use this forum enough to warrant my opinion being listened too that closely......but.... I would agree that a list of guidelines is usually the best option. After that, you really need volunteer moderators that have power to gently remind (!) people of the guidelines if they are broken...and to delete/moderate posts that are offensive or inciteful.

Whilst we are gauging opinion....I would just like to agree that subject titles are helpful if they are succinct..... and another irritation (for me) is when there are numerous (well, 2 or 3!) threads about the same crossword puzzle. It wouldn't take people more than a brief glance to check that "Times 1234" isn't already being discussed. If it is, I think it is best to add a query about once of the clues on the bottom of that, than create a separate stream.

..so there !
7 of 15  -   Report This Post

geordie kermit

11th May 2009, 18:15
*one of the clues
8 of 15  -   Report This Post

jerry

11th May 2009, 18:24
I am very fond of this site,and am of the opinion
that if you want to find out some information,you
look for the crossword and it's number and ignore
everything else.
Jerry
9 of 15  -   Report This Post

mr griffin

11th May 2009, 18:27
Hi Geordie Kermit. I have seen you using this forum for a long time - longer than many of the people criticising those who want to improve things for everyone by using common sense. Therefore your opinion is worth listening to. However you face being criticised and accused of being from the other place - and I don't mean Sunderland.
10 of 15  -   Report This Post

mamya

11th May 2009, 18:31
Well i could be accused of being from the other place (though am a true nomad really) and contrary to popular belief, we do not all have two heads, LOL
11 of 15  -   Report This Post

terry

11th May 2009, 21:37
Mr Griffin,
I haven't appointed myself spokesman. I merely wanted to make it clear that I thought your "summary" was largely nonsense and just an excuse to again ram your own opinions down our throats.

If you have been using this site for as long as you imply I am surprised you are not aware of the recent debate about the need for posters to give the clue,number of letters and any letters they have. It got quite heated but I think it fair to say that most people now comply. A classic instance of common sense prevailing. Of course, a few people just won't comply - and they never will.

It would be nice if posters gave a succinct heading. Most give a reasonable (or very good)one. Some don't and they never will. This is true for quizzes and crosswords. Your comments about not having the time to deal with quiz questions rather gives your true feelings away. If you don't want to answer quiz questions,fine. But I suppose it must be rather tedious to have to occasionally click the mouse again before you are contaminated; but time consuming?

I could go on,but I will content myself to repeat that I believe there is no majority in favour of introducing guidelines/rules. By the way, it was me who first mentioned the need for common sense. common sense rather than stupid rules.
12 of 15  -   Report This Post

mr griffin

12th May 2009, 09:27
Hi Terry. Despite your criticism of my summary, I think we both want the same thing - use of common sense by people posting queries. However I think you are right that there will always be some people will not do this. I am going to follow Jerry's sensible advice above and ignore everything that isn't clearly labelled as a crossword query.
13 of 15  -   Report This Post

terry

12th May 2009, 15:25
Mr Griffin,
I think you are right.
In an ideal world what you have suggested makes perfect sense and it might just work on a subscription site. On this site however it won't. Most people soon realise that it is very much in their own interests to give as much relevant information as possible. But there will always be a few who don't. The only real solution to this I feel is to refuse to provide answers until they do. You then have a new problem. How do you stop people giving them answers. Should you even try.

This site works pretty well as it is. It would be a shame to spoil it trying to impose rules that simply won't work.
14 of 15  -   Report This Post