CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

wendy

23rd January 2011, 18:10
How on earth do you guys navigate around all these threads?

Is it possible that your webmaster would be willing to separate them into Topics, maybe by listing the names of the most-used crosswords then all the other less popular ones (like the Alderney Herald!!) could come under a separate heading.

If this was done, then there could be one Topic for, say, Les40's new crosswords which hopefully he'll post once a week. That way, one could log on to the site, click on Forums, then click on the link for that week's crossword.

There could be a Topic for General Chat too.

I don't think it would be too difficult to set up "Active Topics" i.e. when you log on, you'd go straight to Active Topics and see what's been going on since you last logged on.

PLEASE don't think I'm whinging but I can't be alone in posting something then totally forgetting where it is that I posted it, because there are so many threads to look through which can take ages and ages. Lord knows how one would cope if one didn't log on for 3 or 4 days - you'd never catch up, would you?

I'm sure you all know about Fifteen Squared but in case not, here's the link:

http://fifteensquared.net/

It's a great site which I visit often, but it's somewhat devoid of the humour of this one.

I do hope I haven't lost too many friends by posting this - it's a great site and gives me great pleasure for which I heartily thank all the contributors.

1 of 8  -   Report This Post

trevor

23rd January 2011, 18:35
Sorry Wendy, i'm afraid we're stuck with things the way that they are.The guy that made this site(Ash Young - see link at the bottom of this page)...he has moved on to better things although presumably he still pays (or maybe advertising covers the cost).
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

terry

23rd January 2011, 18:40
Wendy,
I don't really want to pour cold water on your enthusiasm but there is a better chance of Turast joining the human race than of your suggestions being adopted.
As far as I can tell "our webmaster" takes absolutely no interest whatsoever in the day to day running of this site. So long as the ads keep appearing I think it will stay that way. If anybody thinks otherwise I'd love to be proved wrong.
You will find most people polite and helpful. You will also come across various nutters and people who clearly live on some other planet. Find your niche and enjoy.
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

wendy

23rd January 2011, 21:28
Thanks for your replies chaps. I'm not altogether surprised as the same thing has happened with a Royal Navy site I'm a member of.

Thr trouble is though, that when the site "sinks" as ours did, the membership is left high and dry. Fortunately, we're all back together again now. I've had a look on the 'net and it tells me that crosswordsolver was started in Sept 2006 and isn't due to expire until Sept 2015.

Whoopee and happy solving!!!
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

chrisg

24th January 2011, 08:47
Hi Wendy
Is the RN site you refer to the HMS Ganges association site?
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

wendy

24th January 2011, 11:43
High Crisg,

No, it's not the Ganges site although several of our members were at Ganges.

The site is www.shipmatesahoy.net

Our membership is limited because nobody really knows it exists as it's never been properly "launched". Our old site got riddled with nasty viruses and sunk without trace. This one is a pretty poor attempt at a replacement but is still a good site as I hope you'll see. The age range is amazing, it is anything from mid 30s right up to our 92 year old Englishman who now lives in Canada. His name is Harry Hargreaves and he's written loads about his experiences - he is one of the ones at Ganges. (Can't totally remember but I think he hated it in those days!!)

You don't need a navy connection (I haven't got one) but the banter is good! Maybe I'll see you on site - I'm The Jersey Minx.

TTFN
Wendy
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

chrisg

24th January 2011, 12:03
Wendy. Thanks for getting back to me. I am ex Ganges (1959) but I rarely use the Ganges site. I will take a look at the site you mentioned
Many Thanks
Chris
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

wendy

24th January 2011, 14:04
You (and anyone else who joins) will be assured of a warm welcome.
8 of 8  -   Report This Post