CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pipesmoker

22nd January 2011, 13:31
Congratulations on your recent birthday, Jolan, and on retaining a very clear mind.

I notice that a number of subscribers talk of cateracts, which would suggest that they too are 'getting on'. I will never see thrice 21 again, so wonder if the crossword is the preserve of the elderly.

Are there people out there of a much later vintage, keeping this noble artform alive? I can't say that I have seen very many youngsters glued to their crosswords in buses or ferries.

It would be reassuring to know that we are not a dying breed.

P.
1 of 5  -   Report This Post

catherine

22nd January 2011, 17:25
Well Pipesmoker, I am 51 and still regard myself as young ( fifty is the new forty don't ya know!) and still try and fail to do the Telegraph cryptic each Saturday. My daughter's boyfriend is 17 and does it too - so there is hope for the cruciverbalists yet. Sadly instant gratification via the internet is more popular amongst the acne brigade, but I do believe that crosswords like marmalade will come back into fashion. ( Seville orange season - get your jam pans out )
2 of 5  -   Report This Post

christine

22nd January 2011, 18:02
38 here and do the times jumbo every week. Young enough to qualify I think! Been crosswording since very young so I would say not a dying art... So many more should do it great way to learn and extend vocabulary
3 of 5  -   Report This Post

megan

22nd January 2011, 19:57
I am sure that doing a crossword helps the old grey matter keep going strong for " us old uns " and I for one have certainly learnt some new and interesting words using the forum. I think it is a case of being " as old as you feel " and we are definitely not a dying breed Pipesmoker.
4 of 5  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

25th January 2011, 17:25
Thanks for your comments. It is good to that I can die off knowing that I will be able to look down from on high, and read clues over someone's shoulder.

One of my sons went to school at a time where little emphasis was placed on the importance of spelling. What an approach to a life time of crossword doing.

Best wishes.

P
5 of 5  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » To Jolan