CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

kookaburra

22nd January 2011, 02:16
Usually I can work out the wordplay from the solutions but this one from Rufus remains a mystery.

Paul's trade - wine producer. (4-5)
It's TENT MAKER.
Help!

1 of 8  -   Report This Post

finlay

22nd January 2011, 02:27
2. "Tent" is a type of wine.
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

ixion

22nd January 2011, 02:40
Tentmaking, in general, refers to the activities of any Christian who, while functioning as a minister, receives little or no pay for his or her church work, and supports him or herself by additional, unrelated work. Specifically, tentmaking can also refer to a method of international Christian evangelism in which missionaries support themselves by working full time in the marketplace with their skills and education, instead of receiving financial support from a church. The term comes from the fact that the apostle Paul supported himself by making tents while living and preaching in Corinth (Acts 18:3).

3 of 8  -   Report This Post

kookaburra

22nd January 2011, 22:09
Thanks to both of you, especially Ixion for your detailed explanation and scriptural reference. It's amazing how much I have learned from doing crosswords.
Regards
Kookaburra
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

trevor

22nd January 2011, 22:25
just so you know,
tentmaker was a name for a fit bird(sic) hence - mans trouser tent.
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

terry

22nd January 2011, 22:40
Oh, I see now, the Paul's trade bit refers to Paul Raymond's Revue Bar where this fit bird plied her trade. Thank you for making that clear.
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

trevor

22nd January 2011, 23:01
Exactly - or at least quite probable. Tentmakers are high maintenance tho and Mummy wont like her.
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

kookaburra

23rd January 2011, 06:54
Laughing out loud from the Antipodes. Can you hear me?
Kookaburra
8 of 8  -   Report This Post