CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

turast

19th January 2011, 03:28
Sorry, I don't know how to post a link, but there is a very interesting article at.

www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/features/the-internet-cheating-game
1 of 7  -   Report This Post

trevor

19th January 2011, 04:31
Turast - very intersting,don't agree with everthing he(or she) but the march of progress is relentless and i don't like a lot of it.
btw. you missed a bit off the end of the address.should be.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/features/the-internet-cheating-game-2186890.html

i'll make that into a clickable link if it works.
2 of 7  -   Report This Post

chelle7272

19th January 2011, 07:51
Thanks for link, very interesting. Myself I wouldn't cheat (unless I was beaten), as there's no challenge or fun in that. I do agree though that the ability to look things up online has ruined some good pub quizzes!
4 of 7  -   Report This Post

ixion

19th January 2011, 12:56
I enjoy a bit of sudoku usually at http://www.sudokufun.com/ and while I would certainly use this site for crossword enlightenment seeing a solved sudoku doesn't give any insight into how to solve it - cheating at sudoku is essentially pointless.
5 of 7  -   Report This Post

peterm

19th January 2011, 13:19
I suppose it depends what one means by cheating. To the purist, even using a dictionary might be considered cheating. But there are some crosswords that would be virtually impossible to complete without a dictionary, and some where a specific dictionary or reference work is actually recommended. And is it cheating to ask help from someone? I used to do the Guardian crossword on the train to work, and compare notes when I arrived with someone who did the same. I thought it was great to share (or discover) a Eureka Moment with a like mind. I think of this forum in a similar way. But it’s child’s play to complete a grid using somebody else’s answers. And I defy any cryptic crossword fan not to enjoy the pleasure of cracking by himself a puzzle like Brummie’s in today’s Guardian.
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

19th January 2011, 16:52
Like most other solvers, I prefer to complete the grid through my own knowledge or ability, but it is good to share through this particular website. We don't just take answers, we give some too.

Over the years, I have won a number of prizes from the Catholic Herald crossword. The number of times I have been able to complete the grid without reference to a book, are few. Generally, though, I will try to work out what the answer is first, and then confirm it with a text book or concordance.
7 of 7  -   Report This Post