CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pooksahib

7th May 2009, 11:12
Hi. There's some odd words creeping into the DM puzzle just now. Amanuensis we had yesterday...
Anyway, I'd welcome some help with explanations of these babies:
"It's ultimately emitting a trifling illumination" = 'gaslight'.
"Skinhead's hood is lower" = 'scowl' ('S' and 'cowl' I can see but why 'lower'?)
"University MA interested maybe in pessimistic view" = 'underestimate'. Is that just a pretty poor clue - Uni+MA+(in)terested? There's no indication you have to take out the 'in'...

One final clue that I'm not sure of the answer to - "Citizen of Mumbai raises glass to happy 6" = '-U-A-A-I' (answer to 6 is 'tiara' with the clue based on Tara Palmer-Tomkinson).

Many thanks
1 of 7  -   Report This Post

kena

7th May 2009, 11:18
"It's ultimately emitting a trifling illumination" = 'gaslight'.
Ultimately emitting = last letter of emitting = G.
A trifling = A SLIGHT.
2 of 7  -   Report This Post

kena

7th May 2009, 11:24
One final clue that I'm not sure of the answer to - "Citizen of Mumbai raises glass to happy 6" = '-U-A-A-I' (answer to 6 is 'tiara' with the clue based on Tara Palmer-Tomkinson).
I think this one could be GUJARATI which is an Indian language. Anagram of TIARA and JUG.
3 of 7  -   Report This Post

kena

7th May 2009, 11:27
"Skinhead's hood is lower" = 'scowl' ('S' and 'cowl' I can see but why 'lower'?)
Chambers defines lour or lower - to scowl.
4 of 7  -   Report This Post

kena

7th May 2009, 11:32
"University MA interested maybe in pessimistic view" = 'underestimate'. Is that just a pretty poor clue - Uni+MA+(in)terested? There's no indication you have to take out the 'in'...
This is an anagram of U (university), MA and INTERESTED.
Sorry I've answered your questions one at a time but I'm trying to take my mind off a severe backache I've got today. Ken.
5 of 7  -   Report This Post

trevor

7th May 2009, 12:04
University, in this case, is represented by "U" (not uni), so the anagram comes from U + MA + Interested.

ps. In the other clue, this meaning of Lower rhymes with power.
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

pooksahib

7th May 2009, 15:28
Thanks lads, great help.
7 of 7  -   Report This Post