CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

lucy

10th May 2009, 00:41
I've been following these threads all night and I think this is a really nice forum but remember it costs nowt to be nasty!!!!
39 of 47  -   Report This Post

wombat

10th May 2009, 11:23
I've trawled through all the messages posted on this one and no one has given the reason which I started using the forum.
Explanation.
I have been tackling cryptic crosswords for a number of years; I have learned by checking answers to clues unsolved, by looking at solutions the following day/ week.
I have found that some solutions still do not make sense. (I hope that pooksahib agrees).
This site provides people who have the ability to explain how the solution has been arrived at, by doing so. There is nothing elitist with that; we can all learn from it.
I do enjoy the exchanges created in doing so and a bit of banter thrown in adds to enjoyable reading.
As for the original thread, I'm with trevor and others leave well alone...
wombat
40 of 47  -   Report This Post

billyboy

18th May 2009, 23:13
I make no apology for raising this issue from some days ago but I feel I need to make a statement in the form of a crossword clue re this forum's policy re AB involvement.

Spooners message to Troubled Answer Bank members to pale moneylenders, (3,7) B?? W??????
41 of 47  -   Report This Post

alan

19th May 2009, 09:41
i dont think anyone really means to do you any harm. however you do seem to be in the majority - so \'regulation\' it is!
42 of 47  -   Report This Post

torvic

19th May 2009, 10:38
I only discovered this site fairly recently and find it very enjoyable and helpful. Some contributors have referred to another site called AB, what is this site? I haven't come accross it yet.
43 of 47  -   Report This Post

pauline

19th May 2009, 11:36
Can I put a view forward from a fairly regularly reader of this site, who usually asks for help with (the last one or two) questions from my daily newspaper crossword. I have also (twice!) managed to post replies when queries have been given about the same crossword.
I really think it would be enormously helpful to all users of this excellent site if people were encouraged to put the name/title/publication of the crossword they were querying in the subject heading. Then, A/D ref, no of letters, and clue.
I love being able to assist with the unsolved clues of others - can't do it unless I have the reference.
44 of 47  -   Report This Post

mr griffin

19th May 2009, 12:08
Torvic,
As no one else has answered your question about AB, I will try to do so though I've only been there once to see what all the fuss is about. AB is the Answer Bank, also referred to as "the other place". It seems that on that site some people are unpleasant when people ask for answers to simple quiz questions, ask for too many answers or ask for answers months before the closing date, ie not trying to work out the answers themselves given there is still plenty of time to do so. When people on the Crossword Help Forum suggest commonsense guidelines to improve how this site works for everyone, they are accused of being from the other place or elitist. For example, today Pauline has made a totally reasonable suggestion but is liable to be accused of trying to spoil a site that "everybody" is happy with. If you come on this site regularly, then you will see that people still post requests without giving the clue or ask for large numbers of answers virtually every day.
I hope someone who is more familiar with AB can give a better assessment of that site.
45 of 47  -   Report This Post

torvic

19th May 2009, 12:49
Thank you for your reply Mr. Griffin, I'll have a look at the Answer Bank to see what it's like.
I never understand why unpleasantness appears on some forums, my aim is to enjoy myself and help others when I can.
46 of 47  -   Report This Post

cleopatra

19th May 2009, 12:53
The Answerbank is basically a question and answer site with various categories to suit varied interests.

This includes a Quizzes and Puzzles section which is being increasingly used by lazy and / or stupid people who post stacks of questions from prize funded charity quizzes then "harvest" the answers from well-meaning/naive (dependng on your point of view) users of the site.

When it is pointed out that quizsetters will pack in setting quizzes when all their hard work is undone in minutes the "couldn't care less / I'll do what I like brigade" kick their toys out of their collective prams and start hurling abuse at perfectly reasonable requests.

Unfortunately I have seen a few postings of this nature (e.g Rainbow put your house in order quiz) and I would hate to see this excellent site go the same way
47 of 47  -   Report This Post