CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

tony

10th January 2011, 20:08
An enjoyable puzzle but I am wondering about the title - any thoughts?
1 of 14  -   Report This Post

des

10th January 2011, 20:48
what the hell are you on about tony?
2 of 14  -   Report This Post

tony

10th January 2011, 21:02
des you are clearly not a devotee of the Enigmatic Variation crossword. A discussion thread is usually started where , without giving away to much, people exchange thoughts on the puzzle.

I suppose my question would only make sense to an EV solver.

Sorry if you were confused and thanks for the interest.
3 of 14  -   Report This Post

des

10th January 2011, 21:11
you had no replies though moron
4 of 14  -   Report This Post

tony

10th January 2011, 21:29
How can I be a moron when I can solve an advanced themed crossword.The instructions to the puzzle read-
'In Square By Square clued answers are to be entered cyclically but not beginning with the first letter. The unclued answers, each of two words, are to be entered normally. The periphery consists of three titles which have been encoded, ignoring any repeated letters after their first occurrences'

Having filled the grid I was seeking suggestions for the title in view of the three titles in the perimeter.

If it doesn't interest you then pass on to another questions that's more to your liking & ability.
5 of 14  -   Report This Post

laura

10th January 2011, 22:41
Hello Tony.
It is a nice puzzle this week, although I'm still working through the encoding! It's a slog, but I shall get there. I'm perplexed by the title as well, maybe that makes me a moron too!! Its such a shame people have to spoil threads for regular solvers. I'd be interested to have any light shed on the title too.
Many thanks
Laura.x
6 of 14  -   Report This Post

tony

10th January 2011, 22:50
Hi Laura

I'm glad I'm not the only one confused by the title.
Although I was only familiar with the first of the novels and had to Google the others I can't connect any of them with the title.
Possibly it's just that each answer must be coded 'square by square'?

If you need any help finishing please come back.
Tony x
7 of 14  -   Report This Post

des

10th January 2011, 22:52
i'm laura too dumbass
get a life
8 of 14  -   Report This Post

newboy

10th January 2011, 23:05
Hi Tony & Laura

I found the clues easier than usual to solve. It was harder to get the placing right and to complete the encoding.

The title - no idea other than
Author's first name is given in Chambers as ' a tract of common land belonging to a village community' and hence square. The author's surname may suggest that there are two of them.

Good luck to you both
9 of 14  -   Report This Post

laura

11th January 2011, 10:04
Hello again.
I'm still playing with the de-coding, and up to no producing gobbledygook. Any tips would be appreciated before I have another play.
Thanks Tony and newboy.
Laura.x
10 of 14  -   Report This Post