CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jacob

9th January 2011, 12:08
Hi,

I was given a few books of cryptic crosswords for Christmas and I'm trying to get the hang of solving them. There are a couple of clues in the puzzle I'm doing at the moment where I've found the answer based on one half of the clue but I don't understand the other half. Can anyone help?

"Jack, a painter, reversed the mount" -> 'Ararat', but what is the significance of the "Jack, a painter" part?

"Fool round-call about a colleague" (9) -> 'Associate'. My logic was fool = ass, round = o and colleague is the definition. But what is the "call about a" part?

"Dejected daughter has answer that's not right" (7) -> "Despond". Answer = respond, daughter = d, that's not right = change respond(?) and dejected = definition? Does that sound right?

Obviously I wouldn't have got any of these if I hadn't had a lot of the letters already from other clues! If anyone can help me understand how I could have got them from a fresh grid that would be great.
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

dandelion

9th January 2011, 12:10
JACK = TAR (sailor)
A
RA = PAINTER (artist)
put backwards
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

jolan

9th January 2011, 12:13
Hi! You're right, partially. answer = respond & answer not right (R) = espond. then D + ESPOND
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

dandelion

9th January 2011, 12:15
Fool = ass
Round = o
Call = ci(a)te
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

jolan

9th January 2011, 12:16
Finally
fool = ASS. round call = O + CITE. about a = OCI(A)TE an d when put together it gives your answer. Happy cryptic solving.
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

jacob

9th January 2011, 12:19
That was quick, thanks! The joy of these I think is that when I see the explanations I sort of chuckle to myself and think "wow, that's clever"!

I suspect I'm being a bit dim, but what's the link from painter -> ra? Is it just an artist that I've never heard of?
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

dandelion

9th January 2011, 12:22
Royal Academy of arts
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

chrisg

9th January 2011, 12:23
RA is the Royal Acadamy and is very often used to denote an artist/painter in crosswords
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

alb

9th January 2011, 13:05
Here you will find explanations of the Telegraph cryptics.
http://bigdave44.com/
9 of 9  -   Report This Post