CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jolan

8th January 2011, 12:22
21A Shire rents? (5,3) ?i?e? o?t (with explanation, please)

15A Call children requiring transport (4) ?i?g
Clearly RING = CALL, but why?
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

trevor

8th January 2011, 12:25
rents - hires out
rent = torn,hints at an anagram of shire(hires - out(anagramed))
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

jolan

8th January 2011, 12:34
Great heavens, Trevor! How on earth did I miss it? Feel quite embarrassed. Thank you
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

jolan

8th January 2011, 12:46
Anyone for 15A?
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

chrisg

8th January 2011, 13:44
Ring is embedded in requiring..and transported therefore..but what this is to do with children I dont know...is this an old crossword because I seem to remember this clue from a couple of weeks ago
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

jolan

8th January 2011, 13:52
Thanks and Hi, Chrisg. It is an crossie of a week or so ago (& it's by Auster). As there are no shops near to where I live, I take advantage of the Guardian's generous and free downloadable crosswords. I print out those I like (not Arucaria - sorry!) and try 'em at my leisure. I but the Guardian when I travel to nearest town.
Re RING. Methinks you're right but I certailny don't like the clue. Call = RING and the words "children requiRING" transport the word RING. Can't say I love it, eh? On second thoughts, maybe it's OK.
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

chrisg

8th January 2011, 13:53
according to my dictionary Ring (noun) is a male given name, which could explain the call children part
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

jolan

8th January 2011, 13:55
Ta again Chris. I'd fanct the "containment" explanation even though it's not well hidden.
8 of 8  -   Report This Post