CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

roger w

7th January 2011, 17:48
Clue 19 across in Grid A is 'Excuse short boisterous cry from Hamlet (3)' The answer give is 'hoo', but I do not see this completely. The explanation given is 'hoo(k)', indicating that a k is to be removed from the end of 'hook' but why? Does this word for boisterous cry occur in Hamlet?
I would be grateful for any help. Roger
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

turast

7th January 2011, 18:01
We do not discuss Listener clues on this site especially in detail.
Try Answerbank.
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

ajt

7th January 2011, 18:03
The only explanation I can think of is that Hook is the name of a small hamlet in Hampshire
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

sammy

7th January 2011, 18:11
According to Chambers, Hoo is a Shakespearean interjection expressing boisterous emotion.

I know there are lots of interjections in Hamlet such as Stand,ho!, Lo!, What ho!, ha! and the like.

I have the whole text of Hamlet on my Favourites and often read scenes that I like, so if I come across it I will let you know.
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

peterm

7th January 2011, 18:35
One of the definitions of hook in Chambers is: "an excuse or pretext (slang)"
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

roger w

7th January 2011, 19:24
Thank you so much Peterm for your helpful answer. Just what I needed, unlike an early pompous reply. I had looked in my Chambers dictionary for meanings of hook, but it was not the up-to-date one and was not there. Thanks again to all those that replied. Roger
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

turast

8th January 2011, 01:45
The previous posting under my name was not sent by me. More "flamebaiting" going on. Probably the usual suspects. Get a life.
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

turast

8th January 2011, 02:13
Nothing is ever my fault. Anybody who disagrees with me about anything is a bully as I proved the last time.
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

turast

8th January 2011, 02:38
The previous posting under "turast" was again not sent by me, and yes, you are a bully and a snivelling coward, whoever you are.
9 of 9  -   Report This Post