CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mandala

4th January 2011, 18:37
Some very difficult clues this week. Particularly 13D, of which I had never heard. Most gruesome clue is 7A, although 4D comes a close second quickly followed by 22A. The wittiest clues are 1D and 8A.

Have fun.
1 of 40  -   Report This Post

flipper2law

4th January 2011, 19:49
Hi all'
Another try to say that the clues 7across :- Those waiting(queue) and sleep soundly(doze) make glory:
while 10across noisy arab leader sounds like unsettle (shake)
were happy clues.
Be good.
2 of 40  -   Report This Post

navigator

5th January 2011, 13:31
Still very cold in North Yorkshire but thankfully no more earthquakes!
Very difficult this week and still not finished after spending nearly all day yesterday on it.
13d seems to be a political statement rather than the name of a cocktail.
I'm still completely stuck on 5d which I'm sure many of you will say is one of the easiest.
3 of 40  -   Report This Post

karen

5th January 2011, 14:57
Hello all.
Hi Navigator, 5d Think of a TV prog hosted by Stephen Fry thats Quite Interesting, within it a slang name for a sailor= name of a Middle East country.
I had to google Nigella Lawson to get her siblings name! Only then did I undersand 2d.
4 of 40  -   Report This Post

navigator

5th January 2011, 15:55
Many thanks Karen.I shall sleep better tonight now. I have to admit that I only got 13d and the surname of 16a from the net.I had 12a all right but I checked in my dictionary to ensure that there is such a word.
5 of 40  -   Report This Post

karen

5th January 2011, 16:36
Glad to help Navigator,I too had to search for 13d and 16a,I'm still not happy with wordplay of 16a. I get the first name ok,the soldier bit and the fact the he's a newsreader, but how the rest of the surname fits the clue alludes me!
6 of 40  -   Report This Post

navigator

5th January 2011, 17:36
Hi Karen. The surname of 16a is the French "in the manner of" followed by the "returning" name
of a famous WW1 soldier.At least that's what I think.
7 of 40  -   Report This Post

karen

5th January 2011, 17:58
Thanks Navigator,I must brush up on WW1 history (no bells ringing),and my French!
8 of 40  -   Report This Post

bees

5th January 2011, 19:47
Karen, When it comes to WW1 soldiers, don't be vague, ask for the right one. (Unless you remember the advert, you'll be more confused now!)
9 of 40  -   Report This Post

karen

5th January 2011, 20:31
Thanks Navigator and Bees, meant to reply earlier, I was thinking more of a foot soldier rather than a General. I now see my silly mistakes and ,mercy(ha)me the French. Slow to click,so I was,but got there in the end! Ta again. I was in the middle of cooking dinner when realisation hit! Must be a sily 'brain day'. 16a Was a rather clever clue really. Best xx
10 of 40  -   Report This Post