CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

martin

3rd January 2011, 22:55
As AJT says, it's best to work from the definitions, which are quite straightforward. With most of the solutions there's no need even to go to the cryptic part of the clue - I didn't, and I've completed the puzzle without much dificulty(with Robbie Williams' help). I'm not sure that this is what the compiler intended, though.....
11 of 31  -   Report This Post

ajt

3rd January 2011, 23:32
Thanks, Martin - you've made me feel a bit less of a fraud - perhaps we shouldn't advertise how easy it really is!
12 of 31  -   Report This Post

ixion

4th January 2011, 01:04
Difficult to start but not too bad once you get going,(Tramp aka Paul?) that said I'm bamboozled by my last entry in the grid.....

left with "RCTAN" meaning "Norway by bridge"? - have I gone wrong?
13 of 31  -   Report This Post

ixion

4th January 2011, 01:18
Cancel my previous request - backtracked and found my error

ixion
14 of 31  -   Report This Post

mischka

4th January 2011, 08:48
I've just finished, and agree that it all falls into place quite easily once you get going, and you can have fun 'backfilling' the cryptic parts, as it were. I wondered about the identity of Tramp too, since I've never come across him/her before.
15 of 31  -   Report This Post

dizoz

6th January 2011, 05:32
To AJT, ixion et al, I'm loath to display my ignorance, but I have found Genius 91 much too difficult beyond determining A L and U(I think) as 3 of the four letters. Some clues appear to be UK (?) specific. no help to aussies. A little help would be appreciated.
16 of 31  -   Report This Post

ajt

6th January 2011, 08:13
Hello Dizoz - I'm sorry you're finding this difficult. I finished it completely without gooing into the complexities of the cryptic part of the clues - just on the definitions. I seem to have thrown out my copy. and without that can't be specific about particular clues. Of the letters you have, the J is wrong. The 4 letters make up the name of another of the Guardian setters. I started with the two four letter words in the SE corner - druggie and Iforget the other definition. Do persevere, because once you've got a few, it becomes quite easy.
17 of 31  -   Report This Post

js

6th January 2011, 08:16
Hi dizoz

In his 'Crossword editor's update' of 3/01/2011
'Happy Crosswords in 2011.' Hugh Stephenson states:

"Our January Genius is also by a new setter, Tramp."

Now this may be a new name but I, and several others by the look of it, wonder if this is just a new 'Nom de guerre' of a very well known existing setter.
This Genius 91 is identical in structure to Genius 81 (March 2010) - the grid is the same and the special instructions are identical; No 81 did have a hint to the 4 initial letters - "The four letters that begin the solutions may be arranged to give something to drive." Which turned out to be H-E-R-D, you may remember.
No such hint this time but the 4 letters are P-A-U-L!

Given Paul was the setter of Genius 81 there's something funny going on here.

18 of 31  -   Report This Post

dizoz

6th January 2011, 08:27
Ta,AJT and JS, now you have confirmed the fourth letter P. I remember G81 with HERD. No similar reference in G91 preamble. I'll get going now :o).
19 of 31  -   Report This Post

mischka

6th January 2011, 14:02
@JS. This doesn't strike me as one of Paul's -- not quite the same sharp precision and risqué wit in the clueing, despite the structural resemblance to Genius 81 -- so maybe Tramp is a Paul protegé, or perhaps this is a kind of homage to Paul?

@dizoz. Good luck, and I hope it falls into place now.
20 of 31  -   Report This Post