CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

john (from arran)

30th April 2009, 11:08
Hmmmm, campanillac sounds like a wonderful new flavour of milk-shake. ;-)

Anyway, I digress, my solution for 51 was SETTLERS CLOCK. Pick any one of two!
3 of 11  -   Report This Post

campanilla

30th April 2009, 12:40
See what happens when you have a deskful of work you need to clear up as tomorrow is a fiesta and you would much rather be doing something else? Quite like the name though, just may adopt it. I had both names at first but then I just googled bushman'c clock and every reference mentioned the kookaburra, so that's the one I went for, but I did think that either one could be equally valid, just depends really on which one the question master found when setting the quiz. Best of luck with it anyway.
4 of 11  -   Report This Post

g

30th April 2009, 12:46
Thanks, you're a life (and mind) saver! Just a few queries though...

21. I get in now from the def'n and see where the initials C.K. and 'night' bits come from, but where does the 'arpet' come from?

39. Now that my direction of thought is on the right track, I don't think 'SPORK' works as you wouldn't be able to cut your Sunday Roast with a spoon/fork combo ie you'd need a knife/fork combo which I see from a bit of goggling is a 'KNORK'. What do you all think? The pic on this website has me convinced... http://www.knork.net/

Thanks for the multiple answers on 51. I still can't find any reference anywhere to either being a nickname for the bird. A bit of googling makes me lean toward the Bushman's version though, John(from Arran): see http://www.cinoa.org/art-and-antiques/detail/48283

Can't believe I couldn't see the anagrams in 46 &66 - shows how burned out I am with it all, and I don't think I'd ever have got the Isle of Man reference!
5 of 11  -   Report This Post

g

30th April 2009, 12:53
Ah yes, I see the Kookaburra reference now

http://www.australianstamp.com/Coin-web/feature/nature/kookabur.htm

Calls it both the Settler's and Bushman's Clock. But I've used up my 50/50 (spork/knork), Phone a Friend (Post Thread on Crossword Help Forum) and Ask the Audience cards (annoyed everybody I know and am in any way related to with it all). How's a guy to decide?!?
6 of 11  -   Report This Post

g

30th April 2009, 12:55
Still think I'm gonna go with Bushmans, as I can't find any actual clock called a Settlers.
7 of 11  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

30th April 2009, 13:11
Censure = CARPET, Jack finally = K & at the end of the day = NIGHT.

HTH
8 of 11  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

30th April 2009, 13:13
Sabbath = S & Meat = PORK

HTH
9 of 11  -   Report This Post

g

30th April 2009, 13:14
Ah yeah. Didn't see Carpet as a synonym for Censure and was taking the last letters of Jack as the initials for the answer C.K.

Any thoughts on the SPORK/KNORK?
10 of 11  -   Report This Post

g

30th April 2009, 13:16
Ah, taking the clue too literally eh... nice one and thanks to you both again. From me and my wife! Is that daylight outside...
11 of 11  -   Report This Post