CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

richard wakefield

24th December 2010, 23:07
I like Paul McKenna’s Mephistos, they are much more challenging than the other two setters, but he’s a bit naughty at times. Eg: 29 AC copious – this answer can simply be found by looking up “redundant” in Chambers. But if you look up copious, Chambers doesn’t give redundant as a synonym, so two Mephisto rules broken there. 27 D Scatt. This is not given in Chambers as a spelling for a Cornish wind.
1 of 6  -   Report This Post

ajt

24th December 2010, 23:16
Ihold no brief for McKenna, but "scatt" is given as a Cornish word for wind, or blow, in my Chambers, which is the latest edition. I have not forgiven this setter for giving "defence mechanism" as a clue for "ink sac": maybe it is, but it would take a convoluted mind that would jump to that as the answer to the clue. There were lots of complaints about this setter in this column a little while back. I consider him to be unfair, misleading and sometimes inaccurate.
2 of 6  -   Report This Post

turast

25th December 2010, 08:01
Is this Paul McKenna the same one who does "magic" on the telly?
3 of 6  -   Report This Post

ajt

25th December 2010, 11:23
I wondered the same, Turast, but found nothing by googling to indicate that it was the same person.
Happy Christmas to you.
4 of 6  -   Report This Post

ajt

25th December 2010, 11:30
... and by the way, Turast, having just looked at the Guardian thread - and if you are reading this thread - I'd just like to say that my heart leaps with joy when I see Araucaria's name on a crossword.
5 of 6  -   Report This Post

brian

26th December 2010, 12:07
No, it isn't the magician..
6 of 6  -   Report This Post