CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jilly

22nd December 2010, 08:55
I can't find a thread for this week's EV so everyone must have cracked it!

I am confused about 18 / 23
Bleak start for viewer's broadcasting system- footballer kicks Zclair (7;7)

The Z has a hacek above it but I don't know how to type it!

Any EVer's out there who can help?
1 of 14  -   Report This Post

anniec

22nd December 2010, 09:13
Hello Jilly - I have the answer to 18 but do not follow the wordplay - can provide my answer if you want

23 Again not sure what the Z translates as but if you treat it as an E with the rest of the clue its an anagram of a famous footballer when you add the letter outside the grid. Not sure if that is at all clear = again I have the answer if you want it
2 of 14  -   Report This Post

jilly

22nd December 2010, 09:46
Thanks anniec

If Z is a misprint of Eclair then I'm thinking
Lineker. Am I correct?

J
3 of 14  -   Report This Post

newboy

22nd December 2010, 20:31
Jilly

Setter has either mispelt the footballer's name
(Gary) or is thinking of a much older and not well-known player (Harry).
The spelling seems to be Linacre with one letter going outside the grid.

I haven't made much progress with this EV but shall persevere a bit longer.
4 of 14  -   Report This Post

anniec

22nd December 2010, 21:21
Hi Jilly, newboy - been out all day so a late reply to Jilly. I am with Newboy on the older Linacre - its the one that fits

Newboy - I've got the "message" if that is ant help but am still short of several clue answers
5 of 14  -   Report This Post

jilly

22nd December 2010, 21:57
Hi anniec.

Thanks for confirming the Linacre answer.

Can you tell me what the 'message' is please?
6 of 14  -   Report This Post

newboy

22nd December 2010, 22:02
Hi Anniec

Thanks for the offer with the message. I may have to call on you later. I have only got bits of the messsage (perhaps the obvious words). I will only be too glad to possibly assist you with your unsolved clues if I have the answers (doubtful).
7 of 14  -   Report This Post

shoni

23rd December 2010, 11:04
Could anybody help me please ? I am within a whisker of completion but 31a is troubling. Is there an alternative spelling for the purple fruits which has a c rather than an s as the third letter. Secondly I cannot find the reasoning for the answer to 19d assuming that the unchecked letter is an e
Merry Xmas to you all .
8 of 14  -   Report This Post

turast

23rd December 2010, 14:06
I found acai (cedilla on the c) or assai in Chambers. 19d There is no e in this word or in the 22 square. It's a US word for ricochet.
9 of 14  -   Report This Post

shoni

23rd December 2010, 19:30
Thank you so much Turast, I really should have
worked out the answer to 19d but got sidetracked with the abbreviation of 28 d. You have helped me keep my record up since I have now, thanks to you, completed the last 25 consecutive puzzles. Have not won yet though. It would be interesting to know how many correct answers are sent in each week.
May I wish you and family the complinents of the season.
10 of 14  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 946