CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

donald

21st December 2010, 12:51
Can you help,please, with 1 11 12 and 25 across Also 1 2 5 down
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

21st December 2010, 13:21
Donald - read those instructions again! We don't all have the puzzle, so how can we help if you don't give us the clues, the number of letters needed, and any letters you have.
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

sammy

21st December 2010, 14:10
"those instructions".
What instructions? Where?

New people aren't necessarily going to know where there are instructions or see them.

3 of 10  -   Report This Post

chrisg

21st December 2010, 14:13
Sammy. If you hit the "new thread" button you will see some instructions/guidance
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

donald

21st December 2010, 14:18
Sorry everyone, I am doing the wee stinker in the Herald. Anyway, I have managed to fathom out the answers I was looking for. Next time, I will include the clue.

Many thanks.
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

sammy

21st December 2010, 14:46
chrisg, thanks. Yes, I found them by looking around for them but the point I was making is that it would be helpful to the new (or even old) reader to specify "the instructions which are to be found at..."

6 of 10  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

21st December 2010, 16:17
Sammy, Donald had already referred to reading the instructions in another thread, which is why I mentioned reading them again. There's no need to point out where they are --- they're right there staring you in the face when you start a new thread!
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

the judge

21st December 2010, 16:28
Huzza! Right on, Bullfrog! You can't miss 'em. That's why I oft despair when folk, seeking our help, repeatedly ignore them.
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

sammy

21st December 2010, 20:02
Fair enough, Bullfrog, you had no need to mention it to Donald, seeing that he had mentioned them before.

On the wider point, I don't agree with any general position that there is no need to mention them on the grounds that they are there in front of people. For one thing, I never notice them when I go to that screen. And don't tell me this is unique to me. For another, quite a few people who post here don't appear to notice them. And a third thing: neither do they appear to notice the state of their own posts, considering what is so often either near illegible, doesn't make sense or has key information missing (such as how many words there are in the answer). So the hypothetical noticing may not be that relevant or actual in a lot of cases.
Final thing is that posting reminders of the instructions and where they are is helpful in the same way that posting the number of letters in an answer is helpful to some people reading the forum but not having that particular crossword in front of them. It is of course not necessary for those who do have it but that doesn't stop us asking people to post them in order to be helpful to others on the forum.
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

kendo

21st December 2010, 20:10
guys get a life!!
merry xmas to you all and happy crossword solving in the new year
K
10 of 10  -   Report This Post