CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geordie kermit

27th April 2009, 12:04
Stuck on last one.

9a Bump on the head; Rhymes with wing (5)

I have I - I - U

I from EDINBURGH, I from SPIED and U from SHUN ?

cheers

1 of 6  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

27th April 2009, 12:51
Hi Geordie Kermit,

The INION is the most prominent projection of the occipital bone at the posterioinferior [lower part] of the skull. Impressed? I'll come clean - it turned up in the Telegraph GK crossword on Saturday!

As I don't have the crossword in front of me, I can only surmise that 'shun' isn't correct.

Best wishes,

Caravaggio
2 of 6  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

27th April 2009, 12:56
INION has to be correct - it rhymes with 'pinion' which is the outer part of a bird's wing, which includes the flight feathers.
3 of 6  -   Report This Post

geordie kermit

28th April 2009, 10:19
Cheers for the answer. It was DENY not SHUN.... I had made a very early mistake with SELF CONFESSED as CONFESSES. D'oh !

INION is a bit of a stinker. Not in my electronic Concise OED...... and saying "rhymes with wing", meaning pinion....is even more stinky !

I do the Times and Times2 every day......and that clue was like Times1.5 !
4 of 6  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

28th April 2009, 10:25
Hi Geordie Kermit,

We must be kindred spirits because I suspect that I have the same electronic OED! And, no, it wasn't there. Thank you Google!

By the way, I don't think that one point against Portsmouth was enough was it?

Best wishes,

Caravaggio
5 of 6  -   Report This Post

geordie kermit

28th April 2009, 11:05
You are right.... I watched last night's match and we sooooo needed all 3 ! Looks like Hull, Sunderland or Us in the exciting 3rd bottom spot! Newcastle often do better against "bigger" clubs...so I wouldn't be surprised if we get something at Liverpool....though I aint holding my breath !

It was my birthday on Sat and my wife got me the fantastic Seiko ER6100 from Amazon - 35 quid (Argos 58!!). Love being able to search the dictionary definitions for key words.....and the knowledge lists are great too (birds, capital cities, composers etc etc)
6 of 6  -   Report This Post