CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

andrea

4th December 2010, 16:41
13 down
Fired wildly in refusal to have flanks is some 15 15 apart' 4/5
Wxxx/FxOxx
Am totally stuck.
1 of 13  -   Report This Post

dj

4th December 2010, 16:45
Wide Front (anag of fired inside Wont)
2 of 13  -   Report This Post

jeffc

4th December 2010, 21:52
SPOILER ALERT: INDICATES LETTERS YOU MAY NOT HAVE.

Is 4A an actual expression? There's only one thing that fits but I've never heard the two words used together. The 'little way' is OK, but the outer 4 letters don't mean 'dog'. -I-C- C-W. If it is what I think it is, the it's crap and A should have reworked that corner.
3 of 13  -   Report This Post

ajt

4th December 2010, 21:55
The last 5 letters are the name of a dog with "the source of cash" as a central - extra - letter
4 of 13  -   Report This Post

jeffc

4th December 2010, 22:46
Thanks, AJT, now I see the dog, but now the first three letters don't make sense to me. I thought letters 2 - 5 were 'very little'. I'm still puzzled as how the whole thing hangs together. And whether or not it's a real expression. And I thought the first 5 letters were 'Easy'. I suppose 'very little' could indicate the short form, i.e. letters 2-3 only... No, it doesn't work for me, yet so my original opinion still stands.
5 of 13  -   Report This Post

ixion

4th December 2010, 23:12
Quick definitions from WordNet (mil)

▸ noun: an angular unit used in artillery; equal to 1/6400 of a complete revolution
▸ noun: a unit of length equal to one thousandth of an inch; used to specify thickness (e.g., of sheets or wire)
▸ noun: a Cypriot monetary unit equal to one thousandth of a pound
▸ noun: a metric unit of volume equal to one thousandth of a liter

[edit] Nounmilch cow (plural milch cows)

A cow kept for milking; a dairy cow
A cow that produces milk (having had at least one calf)
A cash cow
A German submarine designed to carry large cargoes of supplies & transfer them to other submarines
Retrieved from "http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/milch_cow"
6 of 13  -   Report This Post

jeffc

5th December 2010, 00:46
ixiom - excellent explanation, you take the biscuit here for sure. However, I still think that Araucaria should have reworked the top right corner rather than using this CRAP light/clue.
This goes directly to what I said before about compiler laziness.
7 of 13  -   Report This Post

jeffc

5th December 2010, 00:50
Oh, and I thought it was SINCH COW..
Easy / source of cash.
INCH - very little way.
Of course I knew there was no such thing.
Which is why I asked.
Any more of this from A and I'm going to stop wasting my time.
8 of 13  -   Report This Post

cafca

5th December 2010, 01:17
I'm with JeffC on this. Some of the references (not just this puzzle) are absurd & Araucaria is way too pleased with himself. The rest of the puzzle was ok but 4ac & 7dn have hacked me right off.
I (& I'm sure I'm not alone in this) have got better things to do than spend hours on Google searching for obscure references.
9 of 13  -   Report This Post

cafca

5th December 2010, 01:23
P.S.
Not sour grapes; I did finish & worked out 7 dn easily enough but how stupid of me not to have known the entitlement of the Foot family. Tsk!
10 of 13  -   Report This Post